Passport Requirements

Traveling to CANADA from the U.S

As of January 31, 2008 individuals aged 19 and over entering Canada or re-entering the US by land or sea must present government-issued photo identification and/or proof of citizenship – in the form of a passport, birth certificate, or naturalization certificate. Individuals under the age of 19 are not required to show government-issued photo identification, but must show proof of citizenship/naturalization.  Passports have, and will continue to be required for air travelers entering Canada or re-entering the United States.   The additional documentation is expected to cause delays for any travelers not possessing the required personal records.

All other travelers arriving into Canada require a valid passport.

Minors (under 16) traveling alone or in someone else’s custody must present written authorization, signed before a notary, from the parent(s) or guardian.  Visas are not required.

Canadian immigration officials at ports of entry will issue persons planning to stay longer than 180 days a visitor’s record.  Anyone with a criminal record (including a DWI charge) should contact the Canadian Embassy or nearest Consulate General before travel.  U.S. citizens entering Canada from a third country must have a valid passport.  HIV testing required for resident applicants who are over 15.  A temporary resident applicant requires immigration medical examination if stay exceeds 6 months or seeking to work in Canada.  For student or business travel, check with the Canadian Embassy, 501 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20001 (202/682-1740) or the nearest Consulate General: CA (213/346-2701), MI (313/567-2085), NY (212/596-1700 or 716/858-9501), or WA (206/443-1375).

For more information please click here

Links: (Passport Canada) (Canada Border Services Agency) (US customs and Border Protection)